Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Power of Forgiveness

One of the hardest lessons to learn as a human is how to forgive. I don't mean saying the words I forgive you, but truly learning how to let something go from our mind, heart and soul. I am a strong believer that you can't really learn how to forgive until you have had to be the one that has been forgiven. How humbling it is to fall and have the person you wronged reach down to pick you back up with three little words: "I forgive you". Sometimes we make smaller more easier to get over moves, other times we test the very being of people and their ability to move on from hurt. I have been on both ends. I have felt hurt that at first seemed so engraved I just knew there could be no moving on. I have also dealt some mighty strong hurt onto others.

I have not always forgiven, I have not always been forgiven.

 There are for many of us unresolved relationships of all kinds that simply need to be on the receiving end or giving end of the word FORGIVE.  The thing that so often strikes me is that whether you are the victim or the villein you spend no less time thinking of forgiveness.

When it comes to forgiving sometimes it takes no more than remembering a moment when someone forgave you, for you to learn how to forgive someone else. I am at that place in time as I type this. I am ready to forgive someone who hurt me. I am ready to let them know that I have moved past the pain. I can't say that this will repair our relationship, but it will bring closure...to both of us. It has taken a long time to get here. Too long actually, because I forgot what it felt like on the other side of forgiveness, the side where you need someone to forgive you.

Today I am featured in an article in the Detroit Free Press with a dear friend. In the article I recall a time when I hurt that person. It was thinking of this story that happened over ten years ago that made me realize that I have been taught to forgive, even in the most difficult of circumstances,  by being forgiven. I am taking that lesson today and applying it to my life.

Thank you Nesia for teaching me how to forgive. It is a lesson I will keep with me forever.

Musical Inspiration
Artist: Brandy
Song: Human




Peace and Love Candegirl

No comments:

Post a Comment