Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Loving the Bad Boy....







You know that feeling you got the first time you loved someone that your parents would, had they met them, or did LOATHE? The thought that maybe only you could understand how special this person truly was made you love them even more...you just didn't understand why your parents couldn't see the magic. 

I haven't had to deal with those sorts of feelings in a very long time, I am older and tend to be the parent in my own head sending myself warnings against loving "certain kinds of people". However, I often feel that very same twist of emotion when it comes to loving my city...Detroit. 

Detroit is the lover your parents warned you about. It's rugged and not quite as kept as some of its' counterparts. It keeps you up late and from time to time it will place you in harms way. Yet you love it more, all while thinking you should move on, grow up, find a more mature relationship. There are nicer, cleaner, better educated and more affluent cities you could date....but even when you leave....you find yourself called back to this unique part of heaven that only few can enter and leave as angels.

Just like dating the person your parents don't like...staying and believing in Detroit can get you some of the same concerned and annoyed looks and reactions. Some people just don't "get it" and they say "oh she'll grow out of it, it's just a phase". 

I hope to be the the girl who stays with the bad boy, Detroit, and through her own example and love helps remove his hard and bruised persona. I recognize how I sound "Jody my Jody" or I guess in my case "Motown my Motown"....my city is just going through a rough patch. It didn't have the best parents, or attend the best schools and it never liked the "right crowd". It took in our grandparents from the south still broken from years of Jim Crow...and those who immigrated from the East still carrying the weight of war and gave them a place to work, learn and grow. So yes he has seen the worst even in the best, and somehow still gave the masses infrastructure, rhythm, history and so much more yet he stands in the shadows of his big brothers like Chicago. No one believes in him like they believe in them. It's like being Isaiah when Jordan was around. Yeah you're good....but he is GREAT!

Detroit has tried to get it together, many times, and it seems the closer he gets he becomes self destructive, as if he doesn't believe he is good enough for real success, real blessings. I try to tell him how great he is but he can't hear me over the negative sounds of outside reporters, journalist, sociologist, psychologist, his own family and anyone else with a pen and need to stomp on a persons dream screaming "Shut It Down". 

I love him through it all. 

Loving a broken person can either make you stronger or leave you broken. Loving a broken city is much the same and just like when you love a person through pain, anger and neglect you must find ways to remain positive seeking out the good that is under the surface. It's there with Detroit and you don't have to look that hard to find it because at the core....there is light.

So if my "parents" ask where I am tonight can you tell them...I'm at your house? If they see me out with Detroit....they just won't understand why I love him so. 

Peace

4 comments:

  1. Ha. I love it. The boodip and I just had this very conversation yesterday.
    It's like his...I'm actually cheating on Detroit with my suburban dwelling. Its like my boo, Detroit, is in prison and while I visit him on the weekends...I sneak back to my new boo, the ville, - cause he's easier, nicer to me and sweet. But i still love that thug Detroit....and if he'd just get right - we could be together forever...ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. How ironic that I'm watching "Baby Boy" right now too "Jody My Jody. Even though I haven't lived in Detroit since I graduated from high school it will always hold a special place in my heart. No matter how many negative things people say about Detroit, I have seen so many positive people come out Detroit like yourself and so many others that I know. Every place has a hard time, and Detroit is no different, but it will survive and come through. When it does come through from the era it is in now, I will be happy to know that I have always supported Detroit no matter what. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candice! You never fail to dissapoint. First of all... I love in the video that you dropped a "that's what she said" reference. You are too funny.

    I love this metaphoric take on the city you love so dearly. And what a genius reference of Detroit/Chicago to Isaiah/Jordan. Loved it.

    I feel like you are going to be the mayor of Detroit some day. And if so... watch out world... because Detroit would no longer be in the shadows, but in the spotlight.. JUST LIKE YOU Candice!

    *muah*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!! I went on to date the nice guy and it's just not the same! Always creeping back trying to cover my tracks so I don't get caught! I'm still talking bout Detroit too I promise lol

    ReplyDelete