Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Reasons My Grandpa Is Cooler Than You

Grandpa and Me! Doesn't He Look Cool?!
So today is my GRANDPA'S 86th birthday! I just left their house and while I realize everyday how blessed I am to have him in my life today I realized how much cooler he is than anyone else I know. 







Top 10 Reasons Why Grandpa is Cooler Than You


10. He built, and I do mean built, with his own two hands the breakfast nook on the back of their house. He is currently remodeling my basement. Did I mention he is 86?

9. He has a computer. A Sony VAIO and he asked me for an MP3 player...he knows what an MP3 player is. Oh by the way he is 86. 

8. He reads the paper every single day. My earliest memories are of him reading the paper and me sitting at the table pretending to read long before I could. He made me yearn to learn how to read and he is the reason I have to read the paper everyday. 

7. When I was struggling with Pre-Calc in high school he was the only person able to help me. The thing about that is he has a 10th grade education. He left school to work and eventually join the army yet he could understand and teach the rules of Pre-Calc.

6. When he took my grandmother on their first date, more than 57 years ago, he was nervous and broke but didn't want her to know. When it was time for him to check their coats at the supper club they went to he said to her "well looks like we have to hold our coats, because they don't have change for a fifty". My grandmother always chimes in when they tell this story and says "I knew he was lying the place was packed they had change, but he was sweet...and I knew he was broke". He had fifteen dollars to his name and stretched it all to impress this young woman who would become my grandmother. COOL!

5. He wanted a grandson...after having three girls. He got me. So guess who he made watch baseball, football, basketball and especially golf with him. I don't know much, but I know enough to fake it for the boys. Thanks Grandpa!

4. He never stayed out late, never came home drunk, never raised his voice and never missed a day of work. He loves his family and although he never knew his father he has been a father figure to so many young men in our neighborhood, inside our family and those who he calls his Masonic brothers.

3. He loves music and has a jazz collection, vinyl baby, that will KNOCK your socks off. He taught me about Byrd, Duke, Washington, Coltrane and more. He is also the reason I love big band music and classical. He is one cool cat.....

2. He has loved my grandmother for 57 years and at this time in life when she needs to lean on him for daily assistance he does it with no complaints and more love than I have ever witnessed. This is marriage...!

1. See the video for the number one reason why my Grandpa is COOLER than you...and me! 





Musical Inspiration 
Artist: Louis Armstrong
Song: What A Wonderful World 






Peace and Love Candegirl

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Grandpa! This list is awesome, and I hope he had a wonderful day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG... WOW... Gone head Grandpa. You're a lucky girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaaaaaaw....he is AMAZING!!!! Happy birthday Grandpa...NOW this article is COOL!! Says Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww Candice! I just had the chance to read this and you had me in tears! My Grand-dad died last year and like you he was A VERY BIG part of my upbringing... he always told me "your place in a mans life is by his side NEVER under his foot!" He along with my grandmother are the reasons why I am an Eastern Star and wound up getting married to a Masonic man. My grand-dad was my father figure until my dad decided to step up... He kept me in Gods house (he was a preacher) and we took frequent road trips (he was also a truck driver before I was born) because he wanted me to see the world that God created... I kept my moms maiden name with no disrespect to my dad, but my grand-dad was my first dad so, I wanted to keep his name...My Grand-dad wasn't perfect by any means, but he wanted so much better for me and I will always love him for that.

    Your grand-dad is amazing and these men are proof that GOOD BLACK MEN & FATHERS do exist. Thank you for showing why he is cooler than me...

    ReplyDelete