Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Art of Happy Hour


For those who know me well, you know I am typically found out and about. I like to be out of the house and doing "stuff". While I have a large list of hobbies, interest and places I like to frequent, there is really nothing that compares to HAPPY HOUR! Before I start I understand I sound like a lush and perhaps I have some lushey tendencies, but Happy Hour is about so much more than the drinks and I have created a top five list of reasons why Happy Hour ROCKS!


5. Drink/Food Specials 
There are very seldom any other times of the day, in the places I will go, that drinks are served at a discounted rate. I am a BIG fan of a place here in Detroit, Centaur, and from 4p-7p EVERYday there martinis are only $5! In every city all over America there are places with great drink and food discounts just waiting for you to walk in. Now since we are talking the ART of Happy Hour....please do not go to a chain restaurant if your want the real experience. Discover locally owned places that you can turn into your official hotspot!


4. Drinkworking 
Have I told you how much I HATE the word and the art of networking. It makes me roll my eyes to see an invite to a "networking" event. Why? Well everyday you should be doing something that places you in the eyes of those who you feel need to see you. You don't need a special name or event to do it. Happy Hour is a great time to "network" or as I call it "Drinkwork" you sit down order yourself a drink and spark up a conversation with the stranger next to you who ends up being someone who has information you need, want or just enjoy. Happy Hour is what a fun elective is in college. You might not need it, but you sure do enjoy it and it could just change your life without you even knowing. 


3. Dating
While clearly I am not married,and at the moment I am single, Happy Hour can be a place to maybe....perhaps....meet the person of your dreams. Ok, maybe you should meet them in a less alcohol induced state of bliss, but hell I know there are people who met this way and dammit I am keeping this as number three. 


2. Conversation 
Perhaps only my Happy Hour crew has this happen, but I have been involved in some of the most intriguing conversations while sipping a discounted Happy Hour drink. From government to religion. Sex to technology and every place you can go in between. These have been some of the moments I learned and shared the most of my personal knowledge. So find yourself a Happy Hour crew and get to talking. 


1. Stress Relief
It's not just the alcohol (although it helps), but the combination of the above four items that I mentioned that makes Happy Hour just the thing to mend a stressful work day. You go in to your favorite place, they ask about your day, you vent for free, they pour a drink, a friend walks in, you talk, they pour another drink, stranger shares fun fact, they buy you a drink and so on and so forth. 


Happy Hour is where it's at. So for my Detroit peeps Metro Times just created a Happy Hour iPhone app that shares Happy Hour specials from all across the Metro Detroit area. Also, download Foursquare and become friends with your more social after work crowd see where they are headed and show up, hell they downloaded Foursquare they clearly don't mind being stalked.


By all means: Stay Thirsty My Friends!


Musical Inspiration
Artist: Frank Sinatra 
Song: Come Fly With Me

1 comment:

  1. I love it Candice! Happy Hour is my favorite time of day, and that's saying a lot since I'm pretty fond of bedtime:) I love keeping up with all the happenings back in Michigan and your life through this blog. Thanks for all the time and work you put into it! :)

    ReplyDelete