Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Healer

Last nights video should have given you a good idea of where I was mentally, check it out below if you haven't. Well I stayed in, prayed, washed my hair with some new essential oil mix and did the thing that always places me back where I need to be.... opened my ears to some GOOD music. 

I am a music fan. That could be an understatement I am a musics student, friend and supporter. Music feels good going in and just as good when you are giving it out. Wether through your own talents or sharing other peoples talent with someone thirsty for new beats. I love the feeling I get when I hear a new song that gives me chills or an old song pops up and takes me back to a memory. When I was growing up the first thing that happened in the morning was not a TV going on but a radio in the kitchen. I lived in a house of music LOVERS. My mom and grandpa being my biggest teachers. It wasn't forced but because they listened I listened. My mom took me to concerts. She loved concerts. Mom was your typical soul and funk fan. She loved The Isley Brothers, The Elements, Frankie Beverly and Maze, Isaac Hayes, George Clinton, Lou Rawls and a list that could span an entire blog post. There are family videos of her and my aunts lip synching with full out performances, now my friends know where I get it from! She was ALWAYS listening to music. From soul to jazz. 

Grandpa gave me jazz and the blues I often joke and say had I been born in an earlier era I would have died of jazz and alcohol, not sure how but I know it would happen. Grandpa gave me Sarah Vaughn, Dinah Washington, Ella, Dizzy, Duke, Miles, B.B. King and many more. Grandpa also gave me my versatility. He listens to country, classical, gospel and will sit for hours studying a song. I love that about him. 

Music can save you. It can move you. It can calm you. From your best moments to your worst music is along for the ride. 

So for that feeling of love, understanding and comfort I say thank you to the rhythm, the beat, the instruments that make your face turn ugly from the beauty they posses, the words, the melody, voices, the production and the sheer genius that goes into making great life changing music. 

Thank you music. 


Musical Inspiration 
Song: Always In My Head
Artist: India Arie











Peace and Love Candegirl

No comments:

Post a Comment